Thursday, January 29, 2009

What is "White Privilege"?

Before I start I just want to say I am NOT racist, I have appreciation for all regardless of where they come from.





At my campus (as with most universities) very often you will find many campus groups taking a pro-active approach on issues they agree and disagree on. Voicing their opinions in creative ways. About a week ago I was walking out of my english lecture and I saw three clean slates of white wood with the question, "What does White Privilege mean to you"? The simple question automatically implies that I, being a person of hispanic descent, am not privileged? Obviously, it isn't all about me and this is America we are talking about where a little over 221 million individuals are "privileged whites", according to the 2000 census. But, how is it for the other roughly 82 million other individuals who live in America and are non-white?

I pondered on that question for a while, concluding that in our society white is the norm. It is a socially constructed term and it is that which most, if not all, non-white individuals compare themselves with and/or against. Anything against that norm is labeled different, un-white. Any deviation from the norm coming from a white person is still the norm. The same deviation from a non-white and judgements occur.

In essence, white privilege is being able to drive around in a BMW without others speculating the vehicle was purchased with drug money, or acquiring expensive items because it is assumed that they worked hard for it. The moment a member of a minority group moves up in society and betters themselves (through education or legitimate means) and deviates from their socio-economic level, instant speculation and judgement is made as to how they attained success. For example, African-Americans who have nice cars and nice houses are only able to acquire that with drug money or they are athletes, or assuming a Saudi Arabian family acquired their wealth selling weapons and oil.

Honestly, we've all judged others at one point in our life or another. I would be a hypocrite if I said I never judged or assumed things about others. I don't mean to sound cliche but the solution I pose is to stop worrying about what others have and don't have, and don't judge yourself against the "norm". Instead change the norm and get others involved to educate and diversify America. Do not become over-consumed with what is "white privilege". Live your own life.

Finally, white privilege will only dictate your life if you let it. I am posting this to create discourse not because I am some white privilege fanatic. It does not matter how much we try to dress differently, buy expensive items to show how much money we have, or speak a certain way to show how much class we have, we are all human and equal.


Here are a couple pictures I took of the boards at school.







P.S. what do you think of the adorable "thug life" toddler? If that isn't the norm, why did the child's parents/guardians do this?
P.S.S. Do you think this white privilege exists in European nations? Like the African American populations in the U.K. and Spain?



For more info check out:

http://www.sa.ucsb.edu/epca/improveyourknowledge/whiteprivilege.asp?page=improveyourknowledge

4 comments:

  1. I don't believe in white privilege necessarily. Like if a white guy and a black guy go to a BMW dealership, they're not just going to sell the car to the white guy just because he's white. If that were to happen, that's what I see as white privilege. If white privilege exists, so does black privilege, hispanic privilege etc. For instance, the white drug dealer doesn't get pulled over in his BMW because he's white so he must've worked for it- that's white privilege. But if there is a white basketball team and a black one, people are going to assume that the black team is gonna win without a shadow of a doubt- that's black privilege. If there is an asian kid and a black kid doing a spelling bee, people will assume that the asian is gonna win- asian privilege.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They will try to tell the car to both men. White privilege affords them the freedom to do things without others thinking twice. They see a white man in flip flops, a "vintage" tee and shorts, it's normal and he's on his day off going in to buy a car. A black man walks in with the same outfit and he's "trying" to be white. As for the "ethnic privilege", I think they are simply stereotypes, and can't be compared to the construction that is white privilege. Not all asians are smart, not all blacks are good at basketball, it's a stereotype but not the norm. Ok, here is a good example when I go into Trader Joe's, I am looked at by the patrons and they wonder why I am shopping in there because A.) The majority of people who shop there are white and B.) I'm not white. Or me moving into Beverly Hills, because there aren't that many hispanics there and to many I don't belong there based on my color of skin, and it would be assumed that I am trying to be white. I am not supposed to be there and that is why cities like Los Angeles that are so diverse are also highly divided, majority of one group in this area, another one in that area. There is no designated white area or white privilege and nowhere does it say that whites are better or anyone is better, but it exists in people's head, which is why I said it's a construction. I do what I want to do not because I am trying to "white" or anything, but others don't see it that way. Like when we worked at that store... "why do you talk like that?" well it's simply because "I talk right not white".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to disagree. Black privilege in your case is the assumption of their athletic prowess. Or the Asian kid doing well for their assumed intelligence. Those are no more stereotypes with a positive light. Those are the few situations where a minority has a "privilege". The problem with "White Privilege" is that it falls under almost every mundane thing in life.

    Compare the two scenarios: Young white man, a few days without a shave, pants slightly torn wearing sandals. He asks for directions to an older white couple out shopping. Will he get his question answered? More than likely, yes.

    Young black man, a few days without shave, pants slightly torn wearing sandals. He asks for directions to an older white couple out shopping. Will he get his question answer? More than likely, no.

    White privilege.

    ReplyDelete