Friday, January 30, 2009

The Holocaust is a fact

I came across and article that angered me. I don't like division and rules which is one of the reasons as to why I am somewhat apathetic when it comes to religion. I will not deny that I am spiritual and believe in a higher entity, but something about organized religion rubs me the wrong way (or maybe I haven't found the one that suits me). Any who, this article reassured me of my, at times cynical views when it comes to the Catholic [CONTROL] religion. They vocalize some very wrong and blatantly disrespectful statements. Of course, this is in no way representative of catholics as a whole, just some very ignorant and uneducated people. This article claims, Rev. Floriano Abrahamowicz a leader in the catholic society denies the holocaust happened. "I know that gas chambers existed as a means to disinfect, but I cannot say for sure if they killed anyone because I really haven't looked into it,'' he says. Seriously, Floriano? Denying the death of six million jews? Read a book that isn't the bible. The pope intervened after and described the Holocaust as a fact, saying he had seen the evidence with his own eyes at Auschwitz.



[Credit: UPI]


And for you that say he has freedom of speech, there is no freedom of speech when it causes harm or offense. It is hate speech.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Marilyn,
    It's your lovely roomie Michelle. I was just on FB and saw your blog so I clicked on it. I can understand your frustration in this post. Unfortunately the situation you have described is far from rare. Mahmoud Achmedinejad, the current President of Iran, is a well-known Holocaust denier and actually wrote his doctoral thesis on this subject. Yet, despite this naive and abhorrent view that is often used as a propoganda device to achieve political prowess (and, in Achmedinejad's case, it worked), he was still invited to speak at Columbia University in a World Leaders Forum in 2007. This is a man who said the following in a December 2005 speech:
    "They have fabricated a legend under the name Massacre of the Jews, and they hold it higher than God himself, religion itself and the prophets themselves...If somebody in their country questions God, nobody says anything, but if somebody denies the myth of the massacre of Jews, the Zionist loudspeakers and the governments in the pay of Zionism will start to scream."
    The truth is, I believe that it would be both wrong and naive to assume that either Achmedinijad or the Reverend you cited actually believe that the Holocaust didn't happen. I would like to think that despite my own bias (being both a Jew as well as a granddaughter of Holocaust survivors), the evidence that it happened is beyond overwhelming. This position is taken, rather, as a ploy to rally the "hate culture" of today-- one that turns a blind eye to justice and equality in the name of political achievement.

    ReplyDelete